Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 11:11:09 GMT by Rego
Dear Sir or Madam, My parents in Hungary are considering gifting our family home to me and my brother. This is not inheritance, and would not involve any cash transaction; this just means that the property in Hungary (EU) would now belong to me and my brother. I am a UK tax resident and I am wondering if this has any tax implications for me in the UK? I would really appreciate your advice! All the best, 
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 13:33:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
There would only be tax implications if the property was rented out or if you sell it.
Thankyou.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2024 21:56:09 GMT by CheMey
I am a UK tax resident and I will receive an oversea property giving from my father(he is not a U.K. resident) as a gift, my questions are: 1. Do I need to pay tax for receiving this oversea property as a gift from my father? 2. Do I need to pay CGT if I eventually sell it which is a gift and not I bought it for my own? 3. If there is a tax implication, how to calculate the capital gained? Is it the difference between the price sold and the market value on the date of transferring it to me or the difference between the price sold and the price when my father bought it 30 years ago? 4. If there is tax implication and being paid in the country for the selling of that property, is there any capital gain tax relief applied in UK?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:00:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi CheMey,
1. No   
2. If you do not live in the property as your main and only residence for the whole period of ownership, yes  
3. It is the value at the date of transfer against what you sell it for  
4. If tax paid abroad on selling it, you can claim foreign tax credit relief to reduce any UK tax due.
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2024 23:17:31 GMT by CheMey
Thank you, so what kind of foreign tax credit relief includes? If there is no capital gain tax abroad on selling the property, should other cost of paying to abroad government reduce UX tax due?
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 17:34:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CheMey,
It is only Income Tax/Capital Gains Tax that you can claim Foreign Credit Relief against:
Relief for Foreign Tax Paid 2023 (HS263)
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.