Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 09:16:59 GMT by MKDolan
I wish to gift a half share of a BTL property jointly owned by my wife and I to our daughter. The property is valued at £1m with a £450,000 mortgage. Can you advise of the what capital gains tax and and stamp duty may be due and how to calculate it please. Thank u
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 10:52:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi MKDolan,
There will be two capital gains calculation, as the property is jointly owned by you and your wife.
One for each of you.
Captital gains tax will be calculated using the acquistion cost of the property, plus acquisition costs, such as solicitors/estate agent fees and the market value of the propety, minus disposal costs, such as solicitors/estate agent fees.
Both you and your wife would work out the gain for each 25% share you are gifting to your daughter.
To help you with this, there is a calculator here:
Tax when you sell property
Which flows on to allow you to register for an online capital gains account, which can then be used to report and pay the capital gains tax due.
Please note that if a gain arises, you have 60 days from the completion date to report and pay the capital gains tax, to avoid incurring penalties and interest charges.
As it does not fall under income or Capital Gains Tax, we are unable to advise on stamp duty in this forum, other than refer you to some guidance in this area.
Stamp Duty Land Tax
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.