Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 20:19:37 GMT by drzero
I own company shares that I would like to gift to my spouse. For practical purposes, we will keep the gifted shares in my broker account, I will hold them on behalf of my spouse. To formalize the gift, we will write a letter stating the number of gifted shares and the date. Soon after gifting the shares, I will sell the shares, on behalf of my spouse, and transfer the proceeds to their bank account. The disposal will trigger a capital gain, that my spouse will declare on their next self assessment (SA). Both of us will: - attach the letter to our next SA, and - keep records showing how our capital gains were calculated, and - attach those records to our SAs. Would this be sufficient to convince HMRC of our calculations, or is there any additional evidence that we need collect, or declaration to make? HS281, section 2, indicates that it's possible to hold shares on behalf of your spouse, but doesn't indicate what evidence the spouse needs to keep/provide.
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 11:33:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi drzero,
There is no Capital Gains Tax liability on the transfer/gift of assets to a spouse or civil partner.
If you confirm in writing to HMRC that you have gifted the shares to your wife, this would be sufficient evidence.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 06:53:06 GMT by drzero
Many thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated.
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 07:56:21 GMT by drzero
To which address should I send the gift declaration? This: Self Assessment HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS or this: Capital Gains Tax Queries HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS ?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:06:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Please send to:

HMRC PAYE & Self Assessment
BX9 1AS

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:00:19 GMT by wJaSyhM7Y4
Hi, What are the Inheritance Tax (IHT) implications when a such a gift, or cash gift, is made to a spouse, but neither of the two parties are permanent UK residents? https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/gifts only says that this is IHT free only if both parties are permanent residents in the UK. I understand that these gifts are income tax free, however, is there an IHT for non-permanent residents (but residents)?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 09:45:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi wJaSyhM7Y4,
Please refer to:
How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances
Or contact the IHT helpine on 0300 123 1072.
Thank you.  

You must be signed in to post in this forum.