Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 07:56:06 GMT by
Hi, If I receive, say, £2 million from abroad and then proceed to use this money on the financial markets investing in stocks or crypto, am I liable for any tax? This forum is plastered with the phrase: "There are no income tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the income generates interest or dividends." But that does not mention anything about investing in cryptocurrencies or stocks. So, does that mean that I can receive a large gift and then do with that money as I please (in this instance invest it) without tax implications? I look forward to hearing from you. Regards, 

Name Removed Admin 
Posted Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:49:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Joe,
It's the actual capital that is tax free, if you then bank this then it will generate interest and that is taxable, if you then invest in stock/shares/crypto that you then sell, you will be liable to capital gains tax.
Basically any money that the capital makes, is taxable income.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:25:50 GMT by
Hi HMRC Admin 20, Thank you for your answer. Let me see if I understand you correctly. What you are effectively saying is that: Receiving money from abroad, irrespective of the size of the sum, is a non-taxable event, i.e. no tax is due on that money. So, then, the only tax implications are the everyday tax rules in the UK, for instance: - if I invest in a trading account and make money I get taxed Capital Gains Tax, just like everybody else (unless I'm under the annual allowance etc.); - if I gamble it and multiply it, that's not taxable, so I don't pay any tax, just like everybody else; - if I buy a house, then I may need to pay Stamp Duty Land Tax, depending on the price of the house, just like everybody else. And so on and so forth... What I am trying to say is: the money I received is not earmarked in some special way, right? When you say that phrase on this forum, "There are no income tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the income generates interest or dividends", that's futile, no? The money simply becomes mine, and then gets treated like any other money belonging to a citizen of this country, for instance my salary. It's in no way thought of as special -- as far as the HMRC is concerned -- just because it reached my account as a transfer from abroad, correct? If I misunderstood you, please explain what I missed. Let's have a fruitful conversation, I'm really trying to not only clarify things for myself here but also hopefully educate other people. I look forward to hearing from you. Regards,
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 10:06:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi joe,
If a friend or family member or anyone else for that matter, gifts you cash, whether they are resident in the UK or not, that gift is not taxable in the UK.
 If that gift then generates interest or dividends in the tax year it is given, then the interest and dividends may result in tax being payable on the dividends or interest.
Gift that are not cash in nature, such as shares, jewellery, paintings, antiques, coins and stamps or sets of things, just to name a few, will be subject to Capital Gains Tax if the recipient disposes of them.
If the giver is resident in the UK, they also would be liable to Capital Gains Tax on their disposal of the gift.
Capital Gains Tax on personal possessions
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.