Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:15:58 GMT by
Hi there I work in London for a company whose head office is in the USA and thus it is an American company I get shares ( ESPP plan) and from what i have read i can transfer them into a stocks and shares isa within 90 days of receiving them and will not be liable for capital gains tax? I realise that 20k is the maximum per year. Do i therefore just manually transfer shares from my share account to my ISA? I realise i need to speak to the company i have my isa with. Also does this apply for me if the company i work for is a US company? Kind regards Matt
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 09:45:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Tom Richards,
You will need to speak to you ISA provider for this.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 12:53:13 GMT by
Will do but do i still benefit from having to pay no capital gains tax if i work for a US company?
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 10:26:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
You can hold foreign shares in an ISA, so long as the shares are in a company on a recognised stock exchange.  
You should contact your ISA provider, as they must approve the transfer within 90 days.  
Tax and Employee Share Schemes

Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 18:13:47 GMT by
Hi there In regards to the above link you shared which category does ESPP fall under? Kind regards Matt
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:27:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi Tom Richards

Unless a scheme is specifically stated to be tax-advantaged under the terms of one of the four schemes in the link, then it would be non-tax-advantaged.
ESPP is a generic term which could include a variety of different share plans: it does most commonly mean something structured where employees can purchase stock in their companies at a discount and enjoy tax benefits.  
UK companies may also operate them (without any tax advantages).  You should check this with your employer.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 12:24:44 GMT by
Thanks so it has to be a UK approved share scheme or can it be a US approved scheme if the US scheme is equivalent of a SIP?
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 10:23:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Tom Richards,
It would need to be a UK one.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.