Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 12 May 2024 23:47:08 GMT by KuenHK Lam
Hi, I have various stock shares for more than 20 years and I lost all records / proofs of these purchasing orders including unit price and date of buying. I just have my own written record about when and how much the shares being bought. When I moved to UK last year and is a UK tax resident now, I need to submit self assessment tax return and report the capital gain or loss (if any) to HMRC. Could you please advise me how and what I should do if I have lost these purchasing transaction records? Thank you in advance.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 05:44:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi KuenHK Lam,
If you have your own written details of when purchased you would then be able to contact the companies concerned to confirm the price at aquisistion.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 22:41:34 GMT by KuenHK Lam
Hi HMRC, Thank you for your advice. I bought and keep different stock shares via various banks over 20 years. I don't think the companies or individual banks are able to re-print the related transaction orders / records in response to my requests. That is why I ask for HMRC's further advice at this forum. I wonder if I can base on my written records to prepare the related calculation worksheets for capital gain/loss reporting. Or, I am required to provide previous purchasing transaction records for verification, otherwise, no claims for capital gain / loss can be reported to HMRC. I am looking forward to receiving your expert comment. Thank you in advance.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.