Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 18:21:04 GMT by tax-Q
I'm a non-resident UK expat working abroad. I disposed of some SVP-based real estate crowdfunding investments in the UK during 2022/24 tax year. Kindly clarify the following regarding CGT for these SVP-based shares that I disposed of (at a loss): On the CGT pages forms, are SVP-based shares categorised as "Listed shares and securities" or "Other property, assets and gains" or another category? Does NRCGT apply to these SVP shares? Where do I declare the loss (if at all) incurred from the SVP shares disposal and can I use this loss to reduce the overall tax payment for last year? Thanks
Posted Thu, 23 May 2024 07:33:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi,
Shares are listed if they are recognised for tax purposes on a recognised stock exchange, please see:-
Recognised stock exchanges: definition, legislation and tables of recognised exchanges.  
If they are not listed on one of the recognised stock exchanges, then they are unlisted shares.  
If they do not come under either of these categories, they will go under other property, assets and gains.  
A loss for CG can only be set against gains of the same year or carried forward, please see.:-
Capital Gains Manual CG21500P - Individuals: losses.  
Please see Capital Gains Manual CG73920P - Non-Resident Capital Gains (NRCG) and the exemptions: Disposals from 6 April 2019
for the rule on non resident capital gains disposals from 06/04/2019.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.