Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 14:58:18 GMT by
Hi there, My late father died without a will and he was domiciled abroad. He had a 1/3 share in his late father’s property amongst his siblings. The 1/3 share automatically went to me and my mum upon his death (50/50) as he died intestate. As I am domiciled in the UK (resident, not citizen), my mum was appointed to be the legal administrator. My father’s brother and sister have decided to buy the 1/3 share from me and my mum. Would there be CGT from the sale of my share of the foreign property (50% of the 1/3 share between me and my mum) and would this be done via self assessment? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 12:03:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ashwan99,
Yes there would be a capital gain and as it is a foreign property you can use the real time system to report - Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax
However, if the 'sale' was in the 22/23 tax year, this now needs to be done in a tax return.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.