Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 08:56:54 GMT by ShaunLyla1
I am in the process of selling a second property which is held in my wife’s name for tax purposes when we were both working. I have received what seems to be conflicting advice through this forum. On the one hand it is stated that we can both claim the CGT allowance separately as long as the proceeds are split and we both complete separate tax returns. On another reply we must change the property into joint ownership before sale. Please advise. On a related issue, I refitted the kitchen and bathroom and replaced an old but serviceable storage radiator a few years ago. Can this be claimed as an improvement against our CGT liability?
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 15:16:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ShaunLyla1,
If the property is in your wifes name only and there has been no official claim for an alternative split of beneficial ownership.
Your wife is fully liable on any gain made.
The kitchen and bathroom can be claimed as capital expenditure but the radiator is not allowable.
Thank you. 

Posted Sat, 04 May 2024 13:18:38 GMT by BellaBoo
Are you sure this is qualifying capital expenditure in a computation of CGT liability HMRC Admin? Doesn't it depend on whether the expenditure was maintaining what already existed or introducing an improvement or something new? https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim46915
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 13:04:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi BellaBoo

Please refer to CG15180 - Expenditure: enhancement expenditure

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.