Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2024 10:00:19 GMT by Richard Bennett
I am acting on behalf of my mother who has moved into full time residential care. Mum has a lasting power of attorney for property and financial affairs, to which I am one of the attorneys,and as such,I sold her property in January of this year. The proceeds of the house sale are held in mums name, in her bank accounts, which pay her care home fees. Prior to the house being sold, the property was empty for approx nine months whilst it was marketed. Questions: 1. Do I/should I have declared the property sale/CGT to HMRC?2. If yes, what is the procedure for doing so?3. If No, can I assume there is no further action required on my part. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 08:37:13 GMT by Richard Bennett
Any help with answering this appreciated. I'm happy to supply further information if required. Thanks
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2024 14:36:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi 

If the house was her only and main residence for the whole period of ownership then you dont need to report anything.
As your mother moved to residential care, you have 36 months to sell the property if it was a main residence.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2024 15:06:04 GMT by Richard Bennett
Thanks very much for the reply. Yes, it was her only and main residence for the whole period of ownership, prior to the point that she moved into full time care.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.