Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 08:38:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

HMRC cannot comment on trading platform layouts.

You will need to work out any gains or losses to match with the boxes for the relevant Self Assessment pages and all income must be declared in sterling. You can see further guidance here:

HS284 Shares and Capital Gains Tax (2023)

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:44:07 GMT by ec5784
Thanks HMRC Admin 19. That's fair enough. My point was that HMRC Admin 25 did comment a couple of month's ago and may have given misleading information. The "Adjusted Cost Basis" as per the E-Trade platform calculates the cost for each tranche of shares separately according to the share price on the date of purchase. If I understand correctly, this is a different calculation by what is required for Section 104 holdings and hence it was incorrect to agree with the previous posting about which suggested using Adjusted Cost Basis. This also does not take into account allowable trading fees and commissions on the purchase or sale.
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:43:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ec5784,
The adjusted cost basis may be where the cost on a S104 holding comes into effect but as already stated, we cannot comment on the layout of trading platforms and you need to work out any gain/loss to match HMRC systems.
Please refer to the link previously given.
Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 19 May 2024 00:05:50 GMT by TCY
Hello, I have similar ESPP and RSU from my company, I came from Hong Kong last year April and most of the ESPP and RSU were gained before I become a UK Tax resident. I 'm not sure if I still need to report for capital gain tax with 2023-2024 since I sold some of the stocks after I relocate to Uk. If i need to report for capital gain tax, how to calculate the original value of my stocks? Should I use the market value of the date I become UK tax resident or using the original market value I gain when I was in Hong Kong? Thank You.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2024 09:29:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi TCY,
Article 14 of the UK / Hong Kong tax treaty advises that your RSU's are only taxable in Hong Kong.
If you dispose of the shares you purchased and you are resindent in the UK, then you will have to declare the disposal in a tax a return and you may have to pay capital gains tax.
UK/HONG KONG DOUBLE TAXATION AGREEMENT AND PROTOCOL
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 14:38:54 GMT by Sanjeev Kumar
Thanks HMRC Admin 25 for your response. I just want to rephrase my query as it seems I have not stated the problem correctly. My RSUs vested on 1 March 2024. The tax shares were sold by my employer over 4-5 days beginning 4th March 2024 (due to administrative reasons they were not able to sell on the day of vest) to cover for income tax liability, i.e. tax shares were not sold on the same day as vest. Will it still be 'classed as selling on the date vested'? Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.