Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 00:15:36 GMT by
Hi there I'm trying to understand the CGT procedure if needed. I was with a company that joined the ESPP scheme for while but didn't think about my shares until after I left 2 years ago. The company and shares are US based and held on a US platform (Morgan Stanley). I understand that I need to report any gains to HMRC if I go over the allowance, but I was thinking to sell each year and make sure my gains are within the allowance but also no more than x4 of the allowance value (where I understand that in such a scenario I need to report it no matter what if the value comes to that). In such a scenario, do I still need to bother reporting? I'm happy to slowly sell my shares over time. I intend to sell the shares where I made the biggest gain (the older ones) up to the allowance, and later on when the allowance is reduced I intend to sell the remains of my newer/recent shares where the gain on those is like 5%. Thank you, I hope this isn't too confusing. Alternatively, I was thinking of getting professional help to do it all in one go and pay the CGT (my salary is £48000~£49500 a year before tax, so I understand I will need to pay 10%?) so I don't need to think about this again. What is the type of person I need to seek out? I'm a bit confused with the job titles; is it an accountant? Or a financial advisor? I am also worried about getting scammed so I'm rather vigilante but also paranoid, so I thought I'd post here and ask for the proper terminology! Thank you in advance for reading. I look forward to reading any replies.
Posted Tue, 10 Oct 2023 11:16:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

If the total chargeable gain is covered by your annual exempt allowance, then there is no requirement to report the gains to HMRC, unless you have to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return for any other reason and the disposal value of your assets exceed £49200.  

You will need to declare the gains in your tax return. Non residential capital gains liability is charged at the lower rate of 10% and the higher rate of 20%. Once your income tax liability is calculation and you have unused basic rate band, the the lower rate of capital gains tax can be set against the gain up to the basic rate band. Any remaining gains are then taxed at the higher rate of 20%.

Whether you choose to dispose of all the shares at once or over several years is up to you. You may wish to seek professional advice, whether from an accountant or financial advisor. We cannot advise which.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Oct 2023 21:47:15 GMT by
Hi HMRC Admin 32 Big thanks for responding! I thought my post would go down and be forgotten! I wish to clarify your middle paragraph: ---- You will need to declare the gains in your tax return. ---- I'm employed normally at a company on PAYE; I have never needed to do a tax return. I assumed to report my gains I would need to use the 'real time' Capital Gains Tax service if for example I decide to sell during October. Is this not the case? I was wondering what the difference was. Otherwise, if I sell and gain within my annual exempt allowance, there's no need to do it, right? (Apologies if I sound stupid but I admit that what was said contradicts slightly with the first paragraph!) Again, I thank you in advance if you are able to reply again.
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 08:17:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi Burtgang

If you are not required to complete a self assessment tax return and you report the capital gain, before 31 December after the tax year has ended, using the realtime transaction service, then you do not need to submit a tax return.  
If you do not report the gain on the realtime transaction service by 31 December, you will need to submit a tax return and declare the gain.

If you have to complete a self assessment tax return for any other reason and you have reported the gain using the realtime service before 31 
Decemberessment you do not need to include on the self assessment tax return, unless the disposal value of the assets were more than £49200.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.