Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 11:16:40 GMT by deathandtaxes21
On my 23/24 tax return I included notification of a capital loss (occurring in the 22/23 TY). Should I expect to receive any form of notification that it has been registered/noted ? Should it be visible in my HMRC account anywhere? I am expecting to have to register a capital gain in the next few months for which I want to utilise the offsetting loss. Hence my interest.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 15:53:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi deathandtaxes21t,
If on your tax return then no official acknowledgement will be issued.
You will be able to view the return from your online account if submitted online to see the figures you submitted.
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 02:57:52 GMT by jrahewitt
Hi There, I live overseas and have been paying capital gains on investments in the UK for several years. In 23/24 I made a capital gains loss. I have no other income in the UK. Similar to deathandtaxes21, I have registered capital gains losses this year but have received no acknowledgement of the submission (other than the "thank you for submitting"). Going forward I would expect to make capital gains. Are the capital losses only assessed as and when there are capital gains (against which they can be offset)? What is the time-bar for the capital losses (to be offset against capital gains)? Tks in advance for your help
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 09:55:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
Ys, the losses are only accounted for when you need to use them. there is no time limit for them to be used.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.