Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 01 Jul 2024 09:38:23 GMT by Kolif
I purchased Gilt on 13/5/2024 at 97.17% of the Gilt’s nominal value. The Gilt will be matured on 31/1/2025 with coupon rate at 0.25% p.a. I read the HMRC Guidance about Gilt’s taxation. The gain of that 2.83% (100%-97.17%) is exempted from tax. That 0.25% p.a. coupon gain should be reported as income. Is my understanding correct? What is the difference in tax reporting for the gain in capital between (a) I sell the Gilt before maturity and (b) I wait the maturity of Gilt and get back 100% of the nominal value? Both of them are exempted from tax? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 04 Jul 2024 07:31:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Kolif,
Gilts' and 'Gilt strips' are not subject to Capital Gains Tax.
While waiting for the the gilt to mature, the investor is paid interest at a fixed rate, known as the 'coupon'.
This is reported as interest on a self assessment tax return (SA101).
The difference between the buying price and the selling price is also interest and is declared on SA101, boxed 1, 2 and 3 of page Ai1.
Have a look at HS343 to see if the accrued income scheme is appropriate.
Accrued Income Scheme (Self Assessment helpsheet HS343)
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 04 Jul 2024 21:36:26 GMT by Kolif
Hi, thanks for your reply. I would like to further clarify the tax return between Gilts’ buying price and selling price/maturity value. According to your reply, although Gilts are not subject to capital gains tax, the difference between buying price and selling price/maturity value (+ 2.83% in my case) should be treated as interest as well and need to report on SA101 Box 1 & Box 3 of Ai1 as income. Is my understanding correct? If this is the case, how to report if buying price is higher than selling price/maturity value?
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 11:59:48 GMT by PAT432518
Hello, I am also interest in the answer to this...from everything else I have read including on HMRC here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/gilt-edged-securities-exempt-from-capital-gains-tax it appears that Gilts should be exempt from CGT, whether sold or simply matured. Questions: 1. Is this not correct? 2. a. I undertstand that if the issue is a Deeply Discounted Security, or there is accrued interest to account for, there maybe some calculations that need to be done. 2.b. For DDS, once must account for accrued...understood but I don't believe this is a DDS. 2.c. For a non-DDS Gilt with a coupon, one may need to account for accrued interest, but this is usually done when selling the Gilt by paying or receiving the next coupon, so easy to split out into interest income. The rest of the change in price is simply Capital Gains, is it not? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 08:23:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Kolif,
This would result in a loss, so there would be nothing to declare.
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 13:30:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi PAT432518,
  1. As per the guidance link you provided, it is exempt from CGT    
  2. Deeply Discounted Securities’ (DDS) are government securities, commercial bonds and loan stock, where the amount paid on redemption is higher than the price at which they were issued. The difference is the discount and represents the whole or part of the reward to the holder of the security for the use of the money borrowed by the security issuer. Where certain conditions apply, the tax rules ensure that gains on such securities are taxed as income, rather than as capital gains.

SAIM3010 - Deeply discounted securities
If you invest in deeply discounted securities, put the difference between what you paid for the bond and what you redeem or sell it for in box 3 of SA101 (page Ai1)

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 01 Aug 2024 18:45:31 GMT by Jay Taxpayer
I think HMRC admin is not directing people to a quite important part of SAIM3010. I quote: ITTOIA05/S432 excludes certain types of security from being deeply discounted securities. These are company shares gilt-edged securities which have not been stripped (see SAIM3130 for more on strips) life assurance policies capital redemption policies. You have bought TN25, unstripped. There is no tax on the capital gain element, whether as capital gains tax, or as implied income.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.