Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 21:10:46 GMT by
Hello, I intend to leave the UK as soon as the next tax year (2024-25) kicks in, and cease to have UK income and tax residence from that moment on. I also intend to sell the house I jointly own with my wife before the 2025-26 tax year begins. This house is currently our main residence and will continue to be the main residence of my wife as she will continue to be a UK tax resident even for next tax year. My questions are: - As a non-UK tax resident, how do I report the sale of the house, relating to my half? Can I use the online capital gains service or do I need to submit a self-assessment? - Am I correct in assuming that no CGT is due as private relief will apply since my wife, a co-owner, will continue to live in it? - How would my wife, who for the tax year of the property sale will continue to be UK tax resident, report the sale? Can she use the online capital gains service or does she need to do it via self-assessment? Thank you for your precious help
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 14:28:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

If it has been your only residence for the whole period of ownership, then it is likely that no CGT would be due as you would be due full private residence relief.
However, as a non UK resdient at the time of sale, you will still need to report the sale - see Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax.
If your wife is still UK resident at the time of the sale and it has been her only resdience throughtout the owenership, she doesnt need to report it.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.