Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:38:43 GMT by
Hi. Last tax year I voluntarily closed down my ltd company. All VAT and corp tax paid and £11k was left in the company. As I was the sole shareholder I distributed the remaining money to myself, as cash. I understood that I would need to pay 10% CGT on this amount. Now filling in my self assessment I can't understand where to declare this distributed money. I called the self assessment help line and after checking with his supervisor the agent said it should be corporation tax and suggested I call the corporation help line. I told him more than once that no corp tax was due, but he wouldn't have it. I called corp tax help line and they confirmed no corporation tax to pay, as I thought. I've raised a complaint about the response from the self assessment help line and awaiting a reply. So, in the meantime, would anyone know where in the Self Assessment form I actually declare this distribution of the remaining money? Thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:06:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Hywel001,

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced.
To address your specific question, where cash distributions are made on or after 1 March 2012 as part of an informal winding up, the conditions for
those distibutions to come within the capital gains tax rules are found at CTA10/S1030A.
There is a £25,000 limit. See CTM36220 - Particular topics: company dissolution: distributions for further details.  
As regards where  you should report the capital gain in your Self Assessment tax return, I would suggest you provide full details in the 'Any Other Information'  box in the SA108.                   CG64115 - Business Asset Disposal Relief: shares/securities: liquidation of company                                   https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1148433/SA108_Notes_2023.pdf    

Thank you.                                         

Posted Sun, 01 Oct 2023 09:25:32 GMT by
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.