Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 14:27:13 GMT by Helen Forrest
I would like advice regarding liability to CGT on a second home. I bought a property in 2015 intending to move house, but a combination of circumstances has meant that I did not sell my existing property or change my PPR. I own both properties outright. If I now nominate the second home as my PPR, for how long would I need to live there before I could sell without CGT liability?
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 11:55:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
As the claim would now be late, capital gains would still be due -
CG64500 - Private residence relief: only or main residence: two or more residences: late nominations
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 08 Sep 2024 09:46:09 GMT by GW
Please advise: I've been informed that I can offset the capital gains tax due on a second home if an extension is then added to a principal private residence - in other words the extension to a principal private residence can be used to mitigate CGT due on the sale of a second home. Can you please clarify?
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2024 11:30:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi GW,
No, you cannot do that. If the extension was on the second property, it can be set against any gain on its disposal. The extension on your principle private residence relates solely to that property and can be set against any gain on that property, along with private residence relief.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.