Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 22:34:26 GMT by
As I understand, I had losses for Capital Gains Tax in relation to shares in the tax year 2022-2023. The shares were from exercised stock options and distributed restricted stock units. As far as I understand, there was no any tax advantages ( https://www.gov.uk/tax-employee-share-schemes ) for that. Could you advise me, please, in this case do I need to provide any code for "If you’re making any claim or election, put the relevant code in the box" (or its equivalent) in online Self Assessment? For example, do I need to provide code 'ESH' for 'Employee Shares'? My guess is that I don't need to provide that code but I am not sure. In addition to that: as there should be capital losses for me for the tax year, I presume that the losses should be provided in 'Losses available to be carried forward' (or its equivalent). Could you advise me, please, do I need to do anything else to claim those losses and carry them forward to future tax year(s)? For example, do I need to use any code like 'OTH' (for 'Other claims')? (I guess I don't need to.)
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:08:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

If you are claiming losses, you do not need to provide a code.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.