Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 20:26:19 GMT by
I need help understanding the UK & Canada double tax treaty. I believe if I sell my UK propert it also gets taxed in Canada? Can I get relief for any Canadian tax paid on the sale? Also, if I was to sell the UK residential property as a Non-resident, would I still get relief for any Canadian tax paid?
Posted Thu, 17 Aug 2023 11:36:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lsuki,

You would only get relief on the Canadian tax if you are a UK resident.
As a Canadian resident you would claim relief for the UK tax.

Thank you.

Posted Sat, 19 Aug 2023 14:06:22 GMT by
Hi, Thanks for your response. Can you please elaborate why I would get relief in the UK for any Canadian tax paid? The double tax treaty (Article 21) seems to Imply I would only get relief in the UK for any Canadian tax paid on sources within Canada. As the property is in the UK I read that to mean I wouldn't be able to claim any relief for any Canadian tax paid.
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:30:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi, 

Correct. 

Article 12 of the UK / Canada double taxation agreement, gives the UK the right to charge capital gains tax on the disposal of a UK property first, however, you may also be charged a capital gains tax in Canada. 

You may be able to claim a tax credit in Canada, to set against the UK capital gains tax paid, so that you are not charged capital gains tax twice on the same gain.

See link :

CONVENTION BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND AND THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBLE TAXATION AND THE PREVENTION OF FISCAL EVASION WITH RESPECT TO TAXES ON INCOME AND CAPITAL GAIN   .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 09:23:57 GMT by Beaker1965
Hi there, I have purchased shares in a Canadian mining company. If I sell the shares (hopefully for a profit), what tax implications are there for me with respect to Canadian taxes and UK tax liabilities?
Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 10:35:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Beaker1965,
If you make a gain on their disposal, you may need to pay tax on the gains in Canada.
If you are resident in the UK, you would need to report the gain in a Self Assessment Tax return.
If Capital Gains Tax is payable in the UK on the gain and you paid Canadian tax on the gain, you can claim up to 100% of the overseas tax paid, as a Foreign Tax Credit and set it against any UK CGT arising.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.