Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 14:59:37 GMT by
Hi all I am a full time academic who is looking to start a part time PhD in Jan 2024 at the same university that I am working at. The PhD is a professional development as it is in my area of teaching and wider responsibility in the university. I need to pay for 30% of the cost of the part time PhD and I want to know if I can claim tax back from the 30% (around £750 for the year) that I will be paying out of my own pocket. If yes, what is the process for this? Is it the same as the usual tax claim through the HMRC portal? Many thanks, K
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 09:22:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

No you cannot claim this as it is not an expense that every employee of the same job would be expected to incur.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.