Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 10:09:19 GMT by Janni
I understand that if you are trained in a skill you may claim expenses of improving your skill. If you go to a free event say about options for making income from property (BTL, SA, FHL etc). If you then buy a course for one of these is that then an expense against tax as you have just learned a bit from an online event? Or does the personal development refer to actually trading already in that strategy? These course providers are advising it is a tax deductible expense.
Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 12:17:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

As you have not stated if you are self employed or under PAYE, please refer to guidance below to see if you meet the criteria to claim.

Expenses if you're self-employed

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 12:31:37 GMT by Janni
Was talking as a self employed or a limited company.
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:50:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi anni,
As a self-employed individual, you can claim allowable business expenses for training that helps you improve the skills and knowledge you use in your business (for example, refresher courses).
The training courses must be related to your business.
You cannot claim for training courses that help you start a new business or expand into new areas of business.  
Expenses if you're self-employed                                      
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.