Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 20 Jun 2023 18:31:35 GMT by Stephen Cameron
I'd be grateful if someone could clarify this for me. My usual place of work is my employer's office, however, since the onset of Covid, I am also permitted to work from my home office regularly albeit my usual place of work is still my employer's office. As a Financial Adviser, I regularly travel to various clients' addresses for the sole purpose of my employer's business. So, if I travel from home to a client's address and then return home, is this a business trip and therefore can I claim business mileage? If so, would I be required to deduct the mileage I may have normally travelled had I attended my usual place of work that particular day? I'd appreciate if someone with knowledge of HMRC rules would answer this for me. Thnak you very much in advance.
Posted Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:37:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Stephen Cameron,
Please refer to guidance here:
EIM32366 - Travel expenses: travel in the performance of the duties: travelling appointments
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 27 Jun 2023 10:48:44 GMT by Stephen Cameron
Thank you for the link. To confirm my understanding; If my employer expects me (as part of their company policy) to deduct the mileage I would typically have travelled had I attended my usual place of work, whenever I travel to and from their clients for their business in my personal car, I can claim the difference via self-assessment each year when I complete my return?
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 15:12:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Stephen,

That is correct.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.