Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 08:58:53 GMT by thedoctor
Hello, i would like to know what the allowances are for bringing silver bullion bars (.999 and .9999 purity) and silver Britannia coins into the UK are(arriving/carrying through airport)? Would the silver bullion (.999 and .9999 purity) be classed as 'other goods' with a limit of 390GBP limit without needing to pay tax? or would it be it be classed as cash equivalent which would mean up to 10000GBP without the need to declare? Also with the Silver Britannia coins, since they are legal tender as stated by the Royal Mint and Bank of England what would be the allowance i could bring with me? would it be on the face value, which is 2 GBP per coin or the silver weight value which fluctuates?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 11:28:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi 
Allowances for goods bringing in personal baggage are covered in below link:
Bringing goods into the UK for personal use
Taking cash in and out of the UK is covered in below link:
Take cash in and out of the UK
For more help, we would advise contacting the Customs and International trade helpline:
Imports and exports: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 11:36:15 GMT by thedoctor
Hello, thanks for the reply. However could you tell me what the silver bullion bars would be classed as? as in would they be classed as goods or cash? and also the same question for the Silver Britannia coins? thanks
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 12:34:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response
Hi,
The guidance on types of cash you must declare states that you must declare:
• notes and coins
• bearer bonds
• travellers’ cheques
• cheques (including travellers’ cheques) that are signed but not made out to a person or organisation
If you are carrying cash in or out of Northern Ireland, you must also declare:
• money orders
• gold coins, bullion or nuggets
• prepaid cards
As already advised in our previous response we would advise contacting the Customs and International trade helpline Imports and exports: general enquiries on
0300 322 9434 for more help.
Thank you 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.