Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 08:00:16 GMT by TheDiamond99
Hello community, I’m travelling the world for an extended period of time. I packed too much stuff and decided to post some things back to my parents in the UK (from Japan and then again from South Korea). One of the parcels has finally arrived in the UK but Royal Mail have issued a card saying there is a ‘customs charge’ to pay on the items (£34.26). I think when I filled in the form in the post office in Japan I put down the value the items would be new (not in their used state) as it wasn’t very clear what to do. Language and translations issues. I can’t remember exactly what’s in the package now, as I posted it four months ago, but it’s just things like my old trainers, some clothes, a charging cable. The cost of the customs charge is probably about 50% (if not more) the value of my items. They are my things, as a private individual, not for sale, and purchased in the UK. My questions are: Should I have to pay a customs charge on items that I originally purchased in the UK (so I’ve already paid all the taxes on these things)? Do I pay the cost and then dispute it with HMRC, so that my items don’t get ‘returned to sender’? It says I have 21 days (and I’m still abroad). Or can I dispute now, and Royal Mail should keep the items until it’s resolved? I know with things like a parking fine, if you pay it, you can’t then dispute it… Thanks for your help.
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2024 20:03:31 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi There are two possible approaches. 1. Communicate with the post office and reiterate that them item are your own property being returned. You should be entitled to returned goods duty relief. If there is no proof they may be unwilling to process the shipment as returned goods. 2. Pay the charges demanded and then put in a reclaim to the post office / Border Force. Payment doesn’t prevent you from disputing customs charges. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-customs-dutyimport-vat-relating-to-imports-by-post-bor286 All goods imported by post are potentially subject to import charges , duty and VAT plus any handling charges from the post office. It’s not really relevant wherever you are a private individual or whether you intend to sell the items . https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 11:36:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi TheDiamond99,
If the items were purchased in UK and taxes were paid then upon return to UK you could look in to returned goods relief.
Pay less import duty and VAT when re-importing goods to the UK
You can check with Parcelforce if it is possible to claim the relief now or you can look in to paying the charges and claiming a repayment.
Report incorrect Customs Duty or VAT on items imported by post (BOR286).
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.