Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2024 22:37:30 GMT by Gabriel Picanco Costa
Hello, good morning. I moved from Germany to the UK on 2nd of August for work and I sent my personal belongings by mail. Parcel Force charged me customs charges for every parcel, said I had to pay or they would sent them back to Germany, and said I could ask for reimbursement later. In the meantime, I filled in the ToR1 request, got the approval letter, and I am now going to proceed with the reimbursement request (BOR286). I have a few questions regarding this, please: 1) When I applied to the ToR1, I declared that I had parcels arriving in the UK both on 2nd of August (Friday) and on 5th of August (Monday). However, the approval letter only mentions 2nd of August. Do I need to request an amended version, or would the current one suffice, since the parcels arriving on 5th of August were also declared in the request I submitted? 2) I sent the parcels from Germany to get them myself in the UK, but the recipient name for delivery was my cousin's, since I spent a couple of days in his house after arriving in the UK. Given that, can I fill the BOR286 directly in my name as the "importer", since it is a transfer of (my) residence? 3) The form BOR286 says I must include "customs black and white charge labels" for breakdown of charges, but I don't have them. I had access to the breakdown of charges via the ParcelForce website using the parcel's charge reference, but I just tested it again and they don't allow me to access it after paying the charges. Before I got the ToR1 Approval Letter, the boxes were disposed of in the moving process from my cousin's house to my new flat. How can I proceed? In this case, is it ok to submit without the charge labels? 4) Moreover, the BOR286 says I must include "invoice or receipt or other evidence of value (such as eBay page or PayPal receipt) of the goods". Does that also apply to personal belongings in a transfer of residence? 5) Do I need to fill one BOR286 for each parcel, or can I submit one form for all parcels, with their charge references on a separate sheet?
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 12:14:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

The date provided on TOR approval letter is the date from which the relief is applicable until its expiry date and you can import items in multiple shipments. You only need to submit one form. Please add a cover letter with BOR286 to explain the circumstances regarding the importer’s name and charges label/breakdown. Please provide as much evidence you can. It will be up to Border Force’s discretion to accept it.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.