Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:28:22 GMT by Stuart997
Hi My grandmother who recently passed away, lived in Austria. She left some antique furniture and other household items to my mum. What would be the requirement for bringing these back to the UK? They will only be for personal use . Is it necessary to get an official valuation of the furniture? 

Name removed admin .
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 13:40:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Any goods imported in to UK require declaration, whether they are for personal use or commercial.
Customs charges will also be applicable as per tariff and value of the goods unless a relief has been claimed. You can claim a relief to pay no Customs Duty and VAT if you're importing inherited goods into the UK. 
Pay no import duties or VAT on inherited goods
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.