Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:57:43 GMT by
My partner and I will be moving back to the UK from Germany early next year and we are looking to ship some of our personal things (clothing and some books/other personal items). We will be using DHL, and they have a simple customs declaration form on their website that we can use when purchasing the shipping label, but I'd like to know if there's an additional step we need to do to avoid paying VAT/customs on our stuff? My name will be the sender and receiver of the parcel. Should we still be putting the item value on the declaration? Any help or guidance would be great (I've tried searching on the Gov website but it isn't very clear when it comes to shipping personal items).
Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 15:49:45 GMT by
apply for TOR Ensure DHL have the TOR Reference , then if all the items are within the guidance , therewill be no VAT to Pay
Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:55:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi tamzen91,
Customer can look in to transfer of residence relief, please see below link for more information.
Transfer of residence to the UK
Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.