Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 13:59:01 GMT by hea.chan Chan
Good afternoon. I am an individual who is a plant hobbyist, not doing any business, selling or reselling activity. I am planning on buying some live houseplant (foliage plant) with foliage and roots from an Indonesia seller, those will be Anthurium, Philodendron, Alocasia, and Begonia; and am aware that there'd be some required paperwork I should provide if it comes to plant import. I am unable to locate my UTR to apply for a EORI number. Then I got a response from HMRC confirming that: "If the goods you are buying are for personal use, you do not require an EORI number but instead can use 'GBPR' to declare yourself as an individual." I just have my national insurance number, not being VAT registered. In this instance, may I double check if there's a page for me to register to declare GBPR? Is there a page for individual (non-business) to provide any details for HMRC/Custom to inspect the plants? Does individual need to apply for IPAFFS then? I have not actioned to buy anything at the moment. I would appreciate any input and advice beforehand. Thank you very much!
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2024 12:23:44 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi You don’t need to register as a private PR . Whoever is handling the customs and border clearance for you will just declare your name and address on the import declaration. The import method will vary depending on how the goods are being transported into the uk. For example if you are using a courier company they will handle the customs declaration. If you import by freight you will need to find a customs clearance agent/ broker. There isn’t a system for self declaration unless you are physically bringing the goods yourself. In addition Plants and plant products are highly controlled to prevent pests and plant diseases entering the UK. There are therefore additional procedures as well as standard import processes that must be adhered to. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-plants-and-plant-products-from-non-eu-countries-to-great-britain. You may find the process costly and complex.
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 11:39:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi hea.chan Chan,
GBPR is no longer valid code for customs declarations, if an importer is a private individual then declarant needs to use their details such as name and address.
DE 3/15 Importer Name and Address (Box 8 — Importer/ Consignee)
You can check the documents required to import these commodities by visiting trade tariff UK.
Trade Tariff: look up commodity codes, duty and VAT rates.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.