Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2024 17:39:36 GMT by HMRCAA1
Hi I have a question on importing my own personal belongings. My parents tried sending me a box of my own belongings from their house in Poland via a courier service. I received an email from the courier saying there was a very large VAT on the import which they had paid and were now recharging to me (with a disbursement fee) before they would deliver to me. 1) Is there an exception for moving my own belongings? Most of what’s in the box I have a receipt for from when I bought it back in 2019 in Poland. Having paid VAT with that purchase. The total value is definitely less than £1000 2) if so do I need to repay the courier service now and then reclaim the amount from HMRC? (C285?). What do I need aside from my receipt from original purchase?
Posted Sat, 06 Jul 2024 11:32:01 GMT by Customs oldtimer
The customs rules for sending goods by courier are not the same as when you are a traveller carrying your own goods. The rules are limited to £135 duty exemption and no exemption or relief from VAT. Payment of polish VAT has no relevance in the UK . If the goods are only here temporarily then you may also get duty relief such as if you are a student etc https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-to-import-goods-temporarily-to-the-uk-or-eu If you are resident in the uk then you would need to apply for transfer of residence relief .
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 09:33:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi HMRCAA1,
Anything posted or couriered to you from another country goes through customs to check it is not banned or restricted and you pay the right tax and ‘duty’ on it.
This includes anything new or used that you:
•    buy online
•    buy abroad and send back to the UK
•    receive as a gift
The parcel or courier company (for example, Royal Mail or Parcelforce) is responsible for taking goods through UK customs.
More information on below link:
Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.