Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 30 May 2024 21:47:40 GMT by Larner
Hello there, I have purchased an axe from a legitimate ebay seller based in Japan. The axe will be used for splitting and chopping wood for my own use at home. We have a wood burner. I particularly wanted this axe as it is no longer available in Europe as the Swedish manufacturer "Wetterlings" are no longer in business. The axe is quite collectable as a result. The axe is not ornamental at all, it is simply a tool for chopping wood, which is all I will use it for. The seller has asked me to check on the position regarding importing the axe, as it is a bladed tool. Is this allowed - and is there any requirement to obtain advance clearance? It is clearly not a Sword or Knife. I do not think any duty is due, please can you confirm the axe cost £250. VAT @ 20% does apply so the total cost will be £300. I have been charged £250 by the seller. How and when do I pay the £50 VAT? - (To the delivery firm?) Thank you for providing some advice/guidance. Regards, Tony.
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 09:12:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Anything posted or couriered to you from another country goes through customs to check it is not banned or restricted and you pay the right tax and ‘duty’ on it.
This includes anything new or used that you buy online or buy abroad and send back to the UK.
The parcel or courier company (for example, Royal Mail or Parcelforce) is responsible for taking goods through UK customs.
You’ll be contacted by Royal Mail, Parcelforce or the courier company if you need to pay any VAT, duty or delivery charges (‘handling fees’) to receive your goods:
Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad
To check the customs charges and rates, please search commodity on trade tariff UK.
https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff
You can enquire about Home Office for requirements and legislation by emailing public.enquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-controls-on-offensive-weapons
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.