Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 15:17:04 GMT by Elisa Mogollon Perez
I am a UK citizen currently studying in Germany, but I will return to the UK at the end of my Master's study here. Upon my return, I will take up postgraduate study (PhD) in the UK. It is not very clear if I can claim transfer of residence relief as a returning UK citizen, who will study upon my return. Students need to instead use to customs procedure code (CPC) 40 00 C06 but it is unclear when or how I would do this and where I should provide evidence of my upcoming study in the UK. I would ideally like to ship personal items to my home address, not my term-time university address. Could I recieve some guidance on what the correct course of action is?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2024 14:39:16 GMT by Customs Shield
Hi, You can use the TOR relief as a returning student, you would need to complete ToR 1 form. You would need evidence of your course study, an enrolment email or letter will do. Also, you would need to complete the ToR 1 form before your goods arrive in the UK, to avoid delays in customs releasing them or getting charged duty and tax.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2024 10:21:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response
Hi Elisa,
If you are moving your permanent residence to UK then you can apply for TOR relief but if you are only moving to UK temporarily for studies then TOR application is not required.
Please see guidance at:
Transfer of residence to the UK
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.