Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 20:06:40 GMT by import query1
I purchased an item from Germany and paid VAT when it was imported. The item turned out to be faulty, so I returned it along with receipts including that VAT invoice (charged by FedEx plus their fee) to the retailer. The retailier has sent a replacement and now FedEx have charged me VAT again. The FedEx bill says "you were indicated as the payer for those charges by the shipper". As this is a replacement for a faulty item should I be being charged VAT again? I paid VAT for the original item but seem to be now expected to pay VAT again on the replacement. There were no import charges as such, just VAT and the FedEx fee. Thanks
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 08:35:01 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi All goods imported are subject to import charges. There are however various import tax reliefs available. Unless it’s clearly indicated by the sender that the goods are repaired / returned replacement goods , there will be import charges. If you think you have been charged incorrectly then you can query this with your carrier FedEx or claim the taxes from HMRC. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-apply-for-a-repayment-of-import-duty-and-vat-if-youve-overpaid-c285
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2024 14:43:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 13 Response
Hi import query1,
You can claim for repayment if you’ve overpaid import duty and VAT on an import. 
Please see:
How to claim a repayment of import duty and VAT if you've overpaid.
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.