Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 02 Jan 2024 03:12:36 GMT by
Hello HMRC, I have a UK residence permit since July 2021 and I have been going back and forth to my home country, Malaysia since then to visit my family and friends. In total I have been visiting Malaysia 3 times now since coming to the UK in July 2021. Everytime I went back to Malaysia, I will usually bring back to the UK some of my old and used personal items including clothes which I bought many years ago, to be worn by myself in the UK. As these items were bought many years ago, I could not remember the actual price of them. If I were to put the current value of the used clothes that I brought into the UK, they could be valued at around £50 for all the items I brought in (this is way below the personal allowance threshold). During my first move to the UK in July 2021, I have also carried with me, my old used laptop and handphone to be used by myself in the UK. As they were bought a long time ago, I could not remember the actual prices of them but I could value the used laptop and handphone at around £300 (which is below the personal allowance). The only new thing that I bought was a tablet and earphones in 2022 which costs around £300 (which is also below the personal allowance threshold). None of the items that I brought into the UK were used for commercial perposes and I can assure you, they were all meant for my personal use in the UK. I hope this is ok as I only came across the UK Customs requirements recently and was not sure wheather I needed to declare at the customs for bringing in my old and used items for my personal use everytime I return to UK from Malaysia. Although I cannot remember the actual prices of these items when I initially bought them, I would estimate the current value of the old and used items at around £50 for the total clothes I brought in and £300 for both the laptop and handphone, which is below the personal allowance limit. Thank you. Kind regards, Arif Rassip
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:47:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Arif Rassip,
Please refer to below link for information on bringing goods into the UK for personal use.
Bringing goods into the UK for personal use
Working out the customs value of your imported goods is covered in below guidance.
Working out the customs value of your imported goods
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.