Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 14:55:50 GMT by
Hello, Over the weekend I was visiting Poland when I suffered an accident and broke my spine. From the hospital I went straight into the airport onto a medical flight back to the UK and again straight to the hospital in ambulances. Hence my personal belongings were left with my friends in Poland. I used UPS services to courier my own phone to myself as that was left behind with my personal belongings in Poland due to the accident. I am a spanish national with UK Permanent Residence. The parcel containing my phone is now being delivered but a 200£ fee is being imposed on it. I wonder if someone could offer some clarification on this as it is my own personal phone that is being delivered to me but the email says this is an import fee. The phone is an iPhone 13 with a black case. It is of UK origin as I bought it here about two years ago. I have invoice, serial number, passcodes to access it... I can prove that is mine and it is just being returned to me after an unfortunate accident. Is there a way to do this? Alternatively, if I refuse delivery, would I still be liable for these charges? I just dont know how else to receive my phone back as I am bed bound for the next 12-15 weeks and of course, not fit to fly.. Thank you for any information you may be able to provide.
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:49:19 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi Sorry to hear about your accident. You will have been charged import duty/import VAT if it wasn’t clear these are returned goods. All goods imported into the UK are subject to Import VAT and possibly import duty. You first need to contact the courier and tell them the goods are being returned to you. They need to request returned goods relief on the customs declaration so duty and import VAT is not charged. You may be asked to provide evidence that you purchased the goods in the UK. Alternatively if you have already been charged you can submit a c285 reclaim form to HMRC . If you refuse delivery and the goods have already cleared customs then you are likely to be charged by the courier as they may have already paid the taxes to customs on your behalf. There is also the risk you won’t get your phone back at all.
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 15:13:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi NereaFacundo,
Customs charges are applied because it has been sent as normal parcel without claiming returned goods relief.
Customer needs to check if UPS will allow them to send the parcel back without incurring costs.
Alternatively customer can pay the charges and request a repayment from HRMC using form C285.
More information on below link.
How to apply for a repayment of import duty and VAT if you've overpaid (C285) EnglishCymraeg
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.