Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:15:52 GMT by
Hi, I foolishly left my laptop at Barcelona Airport security recently. It was sent to lost and found. A friend who lives in Barcelona picked it up for me and UPS’d it back to me in London. Apparently I must pay £273 in government fees? I paid all the VAT on the computer when I bought it in 2020. It’s a simple case of my property being returned to me via a courier. Why am I being charged import fees? Please help. Your Jaimie Gramston
Posted Fri, 05 Jan 2024 14:26:09 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Everything entering the UK is treated in the first instance as a first time import and subject to import VAT and possibly import duty ( depending on the goods and their origin) As this is an item that you purchased in the UK you need to tell UPS that this is returned item. No tax should be due if it’s clear the item is being returned. If you have already paid you need to make a reclaim request to HMRC or ask UPS to do this.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:14:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jaimie Gramston,
The reason your are being charged is because it has been sent as standard import.
If the goods are returning to UK, returned goods relief needs to be claimed while arranging the post from exporting country. 
Pay less import duty and VAT when re-importing goods to the UK How to claim
You can now either pay the charges and claim it back using below link or refuse to accept the item and speak to the courier about sending it back.
How to apply for a repayment of import duty and VAT if you've overpaid (C285)
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.