Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 21 May 2024 09:05:16 GMT by DolliesHiller Bose
Hello, I'm just starting up and trying to import roasted coffee beans and powder from India to sell in the UK. As I do not yet know if this is a viable project, I want to start small and import 9 kg at a time, sell that, and then get another shipment. I had thought that I would get a customs charge letter from Parcel Force, but when I didn't, I phoned them and they said it hadn't gone through customs because the goods amounted to less than £135 (the sender had attached a customs form). But, I am planning on selling these products. I can't find anything on Gov.UK about how to declare these goods because I don't have the customs charge letter reference. There is no free trade agreement between the UK and India, and coffee isn't VAT applicable. What can I do and how can I solve this going forward when I get future shipments over? Many thanks for any help.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2024 14:32:59 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi Goods with a value below £135 are exempted from import duty but not VAT if applicable. If VAT is applicable then the overseas seller must be UK VAT registered and charge UK VAT at point of sale. If any customs charges were due the Parcelforce will have notified you and you will have been asked to pay on line prior to delivery. Goods coming through the postal service have special customs rules and parcel force can make the customs declaration when needed. https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
Posted Thu, 23 May 2024 08:09:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi DolliesHiller Bose,
I would advise contacting the Customs and International trade helpline on 0300 322 9434 for help.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2024 08:13:13 GMT by DolliesHiller Bose
Thanks to both for your replies!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.