Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 11:03:40 GMT by Amolak Mann
Hi. I hope you are well. I would like some advice regarding tenant in common and changing the shares. If one party has a 75% share and the other a 25% I would like to change this share, From looking online it says to fill in form 17 but this only mentions spouse, The relationship between the parties is father and son and not spouse. Can you please advise. Kind regards
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2024 07:53:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Thank you for your question.  

The form 17 can only be used for properties jointly owned by husband and wife/civil partners, so would not be applicable for you. 

Where there is no partnership,  the share of any profit or loss arising from jointly owned propertywill normally be the same as the share owned in the property being let.

But joint owners can agree a different division of profits and losses and so occasionally the share of the profits or losses will differ from the share of the property.

The share for tax purposes must be the same as the share actually agreed.

If you want to change to change your shares you need to write to HMRC and advise the share agreed.

Thank you .
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2024 08:31:48 GMT by Amolak Mann
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.