Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:56:15 GMT by Stephanie Duprat
Hi I have been renting out my flat since March 2022. It was the first time I was renting it out and I rent it out through a real-estate agency. Can I deduct the agents' recurring fees? thanks a lot
Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 10:21:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Stephanie Duprat,

Recurring Estate Agents fees would be deductible.
For more information about rental deductions see: PIM2120 - Deductions: main types of expense: legal and professional costs 

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2023 17:23:26 GMT by Stephanie Duprat
Thanks a lot. I went to the page you mentioned and it says "The expenses incurred in connection with the first letting or subletting of a property for more than one year are capital expenditure and therefore not allowable. The expenses include, for example, legal expenses (such as the cost of drawing up the lease), agent’s and surveyor’s fees and commission. Expenses for a let of a year or less can be deducted." But you confirm that recurring real-estate agents' fees can be deducted even for the first year of the lease? thanks a lot
Posted Thu, 31 Aug 2023 08:19:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Stephanie Duprat,
Thank you for your question.
Please can you confirm what you mean when you refer to the real-estate agents’ fees as recurring?
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:39:46 GMT by Stephanie Duprat
Sure: instead of being invoiced the agents' fees for the 2 years' lease they negotiated with my tenant as a one off, they take a percentage of the rent each month. And I was wondering if I could deduct this amount. Thanks a lot
Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 10:57:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Agents fees are deductible from rental income, more information can be found in PIM2120:
Deductions: main types of expense: legal and professional costs
Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 15:23:35 GMT by Stephanie Duprat
Thanks a lot but it says: "The expenses incurred in connection with the first letting or subletting of a property for more than one year are capital expenditure and therefore not allowable. The expenses include, for example, legal expenses (such as the cost of drawing up the lease), agent’s and surveyor’s fees and commission. Expenses for a let of a year or less can be deducted." It is the first time I am renting our this property, and I am renting it out for 2 years since March 2022. In these circumstances, are the agent fees taken each month as a percentage of the monthly rent allowable or not? thanks a lot
Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 11:43:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
You are referring to the HMRC guidance PIM2120.
Please refer to the prior paragraph in PIM2120 and confirm whether your agents costs are of a revenue nature and incurred in the purposes of  the rental business, which if they do are allowable.. 
Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 14:27:20 GMT by Stephanie Duprat
Yes they are of a revenue nature, but as explained above I wasn't sure I could deduct them as it is the first time I am letting this property and I only started letting it in March 2022. But you confirm I can deduct them? Thanks a lot
Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:25:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

Thank you for your question yes they can be deducted  .

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.