Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2024 16:02:32 GMT by Dheeraj Parashar
Dear HMRC Team, My wife and I own a property 50:50 jointly. We rented it out last year and would like to split the rental share 80:20. We are both in two different tax brackets. Do I need a deed of trust signed by a solicitor or will form 17 on its own suffice signed in front of witnesses? Thanks 

Name removed admin .
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2024 10:51:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Thank you for your question.

A Solitotor is not rquired when creating a declaration of trust .

A trust deed is a general term for a document which contains the terms of the trust .

A declaration of trust is a type of trust and is a document by which the person or people who own as assess
delare that they hold it on trust in specifed shares.

Evidence of the unequal shares should be provided with the form 17. 

Thank you .
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2024 21:51:17 GMT by Dheeraj Parashar
Thank you HMRC Admin 17. As a follow up question - can I submit Form 17 in January 2025 along with my tax assessment submission for last year? Kind Regards
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2024 07:07:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Dheeraj Parashar,
You should submit your Form 17 and supporting evidence as soon as possible, as the declaration will only take effect from the date you and your wife sign it.
Your rental income should continue to be divided on the 50:50 basis until the Form 17 signature date, and can only be split 80:20 from then on.
If you wait until January 2025 to sign and send your declaration, then you will not be able to apply the 80:20 split to your rental income until then. We must receive the signed Form 17 declararation within 60 days of the date on which you both sign it for it to be treated as a valid declaration. 
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 20:34:49 GMT by Dheeraj Parashar
Thank you HMRC Team, What evidence do we need to submit with form 17, if any? Kind Regards, Dheeraj
Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 15:24:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi Dheeraj Parashar

You need to send your Form 17 in with a Deed of Trust.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.