Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Dec 2023 12:19:02 GMT by
I am a UK National and for a while lived in the US where I bought a property which I still own and now rent out. I still fill out a US tax return each year and pay whatever taxes are relevant on the US property. I also do self assessment in the UK and declare any earnings from this rental property. If I file in the US and they take their taxes and I also file in the UK and taxes are claimed on what remains am I being taxed twice?
Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 09:34:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Matthew Clubb,
The USA can tax you.  
You declare your USA rental income on a Foreign Earnings page SA106.  
You can also declare the tax that you have already paid there.  
We can take that tax into account in your final tax calculation.
Thnak you.

Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 13:16:01 GMT by
When I filled in my tax return there was a section that said words to to effect that is income was not brought into the UK it was not taxable (see the copied text below) - is this the case? When I did a tax return the previous year I do not remember seeing this section on the online form and paid £1800 tax when no income was brought into the UK. ************* Under the remittance basis of taxation, you pay UK tax on UK income and gains for the tax year in which they arise, but you only pay UK tax on foreign income and foreign gains if and when they are brought (or 'remitted') to the UK.
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:14:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Matthew,
Thank you for your question. I believe you are referring to the remittance basis found on help sheet HS264 Paying tax on the remittance basis (Self Assessment helpsheet HS264), which outlines the basic principles of the remittance basis. Without sight of both Tax Returns, I would be unable to advise in full as other circumstances have to be taken into consideration. I would advise to contact the Self-Assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310 as this forum offers general advice and is not catered to individual circumstances.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.