Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 08 Oct 2024 08:59:37 GMT by ricon
Hi, I would like to clarify the meaning of the following excerpt from the Income from land and property abroad in the self assessment form: "You cannot deduct: for more than one year, expenses incurred in connection with the first letting or subletting of a property. These include legal expenses such as: the cost of drawing up a lease, agents' and surveyors' fees, commission" I have a foreign rental property which I let out for two years. The real estate broker's commission for bringing me the tenant is $1,800. Can I deduct $900 (being one-half) in the first year of lease? Can I deduct the remaining one-half ($900) in the second year of lease? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 12:00:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
No, as it was not deducted over 2 years.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 19:17:20 GMT by ricon
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean that the agency fee is not tax deductible because the tenancy is longer than one year?
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2024 13:13:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, from your previous queries, I am unable to trace any advice regarding agency fees requested.

In relation to Agents fees, PIM2120 refers, legal and professional fees such as Agency fees are not deductible
if in connection with the first letting or subletting of a property for more than one year and are classed as capital expenditure.

Further information can be found within see:

PIM2120 - Deductions: main types of expense: legal and professional costs  .

Thanks  .
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2024 13:27:40 GMT by ricon
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.