Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2024 12:51:21 GMT by robbez berry
I own a buy to let property purchased before meeting my current partner - property has a mortgage on it - (we live in a separate residential property) my partner and I are not married or in a civil partnership. I am a higher rate tax payer - she is lower rate. I would like to know whether there are any actions i can take to transfer either 50/50 split of rental income to her - or a different % split?. I have searched previous posts and can see deeds of trust etc but all seem to relate to people who are married - not non married co habiting partners.
Posted Tue, 01 Oct 2024 11:02:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

Thank you for your question. A Declaration of Trust is a legally binding document that creates a trust. Most types of trust giving an interest in property to somebody who is not the legal owner

now need to be registered with HMRC via the Trust Registration Service. You can find guidance on the registration requirements and how to register here, 

Register a trust as a trustee

There is also more information about what types of trust need to be registered at Trust Registration Service Manual - Types of trust that need to be registered: contents: excluded express trusts:

contents: property ownership - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). 

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2024 12:30:41 GMT by robbez berry
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.