Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 25 Jun 2023 14:46:32 GMT by Sunsun Hung
I would like to know (i) does the rent from a property in Japan can deduct its management fee and the agent commission (the agent charges me monthly) (ii) which form should I use for reporting the overseas property income? (ii) the Japanese agent transferred money to me in Hong Kong via my bank account in Hong Kong. Do I need to submit my bank account statement for receiving such rent to you? Any document required for reporting the overseas property income (I have a recipt in Chinese too)? Many thanks!
Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 10:40:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Sunsun Hung,

Yes you can claim the fee and commission as expenses.
The income should be reported on the SA106 of the tax return.
If filing online, you need to tailor your return at section 3 to say you have foreign income.
All the income/expenses must be declared in sterling.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 14:38:05 GMT by Sunsun Hung
Thank you for your information. For the section 3, do you mean the self-assessment form? Or you mean SA106? Besides, I am retired and no income from work. I only have saving interest in UK and rental income from overseas. For calculating the tax for saving interest, does my overseas rental income (GBP 4000) affect my allowance for earning interest? If possible, may I know the formula for calculating the interest rate tax (if I have GBP4000 overseas income) ? Thanks a lot
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 13:59:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Section 3 refers to the online version of the tax return.  
You  would select 3 - Tailor Your Return and choose the foreign option.  
Have a look at the guidance at:
Tax on savings interest
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.