Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 20:31:59 GMT by Filbert79
Dear Sir/Madam, A property is currently being let out and meets all the criteria to be classed as a FHL. The services provided are not material and so it is not registered as a business (i.e Self Employment). What would happen please if turnover happened to exceed the VAT registration threshold. Would it then have to be registered as a business (i.e self employment) regardless and from the date VAT registration is required, or is VAT actually not an issue given the services provided are not material in nature (i.e not akin to a hotel)? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:19:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If your gross income for holiday letting exceeds the current VAT threshold of £85000 in any rolling 12 month period, you must register for VAT.  
For more information, please phone our VAT helpline on 0300 200 3700.
Thankyou.
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:51:02 GMT by Filbert79
Thank you. The income/expenditure have been shown on the Land and Property pages of the tax return as the services provided did not constitute a trade. Given you now advise that VAT registration is required when turnover is above £85,000, does this mean the holiday let would have to be registered as a self employment and declaration now be made on the self employment pages instead?
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:37:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
As you have stated if the income you receive from a FHL is above £85000 in a year then would need to register and pay VAT.
You would still declare the actual income from the FHL within the UK Property pages of the self assessment tax return.
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.