Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Non-residency CGT loss

Hi, Can you kindly advise how we report a UK CGT loss for a non UK resident please. Thank you
  • Legal Fees - Allowable or disallowable

If an individual incurs legal fees to defend the rights to beneficial ownership of a property. Can these be allowable deductions against rental income? I know that legal fees are allowable when they are incurred in defending the taxpayer's title to fixed assets in relation to a trade. I just wondered if this extends to a property disputes when defending your right to beneficial ownership?
  • PPR Nomination

Dear Sir/Madam, If an individual has one property and then acquires a second property, I understand they have 2 years from acquiring the 2nd property to make an election for which is to be treated as their main residence. This then allows for future revisions to be made subsequently of which there is no limit to the number of times this can be made. My query is, having made an initial election within the 2 years, are subsequent revisions only allowed up to the two year anniversary of having acquired the second property or can revisions be made beyond the 2 years as a result of the initial 'in-time' election? Thank you
  • RE: FHL - Trading Status and VAT

Thank you. The income/expenditure have been shown on the Land and Property pages of the tax return as the services provided did not constitute a trade. Given you now advise that VAT registration is required when turnover is above £85,000, does this mean the holiday let would have to be registered as a self employment and declaration now be made on the self employment pages instead?
  • FHL - Trading Status and VAT

Dear Sir/Madam, A property is currently being let out and meets all the criteria to be classed as a FHL. The services provided are not material and so it is not registered as a business (i.e Self Employment). What would happen please if turnover happened to exceed the VAT registration threshold. Would it then have to be registered as a business (i.e self employment) regardless and from the date VAT registration is required, or is VAT actually not an issue given the services provided are not material in nature (i.e not akin to a hotel)? Thank you.
  • Assigning Rental Income

Hi, My query is as follows. 2 people inherit a property (not married) and wish to rent it out. They want the rents to go to themselves as legal owners but also be split equally to some other people. So for example 4 people meaning rents get split 25%. They will then sell the property and split the proceeds equally between the same people. Can they choose to do this arrangement of splitting rental income despite 2 of the people involved not being legal owners? If they can, does it have to be a signed agreement from the outset?
  • NATO Salary

Hi, I understand that NATO employees are exempt from tax on their salaries under the Ottawa Agreement (Article 19). If an individual is based in Belgium (but who is resident and ordinarily resident in the UK), would this tax free status of the NATO employment extend to it not being declarable for tax purposes in the UK? Thank you
  • RE: CGT - Beneficial Ownership

Thank you. In what format would beneficial interest be made to HMRC, would a simple letter suffice? Is there a time limit for such an election to be made?
  • CGT - Beneficial Ownership

Hi, A house is owned solely by a mother in terms of legal ownership but is lived in by her daughter as her main residence and the proceeds when sold will be given to the daughter to buy a larger house. Am I correct in assuming that the daughter has the full beneficial ownership of the property for CGT purposes when it is sold? How is this beneficial ownership formally reported and is there a time limit? Thank you for your help.
  • UK Income (Non Resident)

Dear Sir/Madam, The double taxation agreement between the UK and Philippines states that UK state pension and non occupational pensions are taxable in the UK. If the non resident chooses to have these pensions paid directly into an overseas bank account rather than to a UK bank account, would this make them not subject to UK tax or will they remain taxable in the UK regardless? Many thanks