Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:16:57 GMT by Filbert79
Hi, I understand that NATO employees are exempt from tax on their salaries under the Ottawa Agreement (Article 19). If an individual is based in Belgium (but who is resident and ordinarily resident in the UK), would this tax free status of the NATO employment extend to it not being declarable for tax purposes in the UK? Thank you
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 15:19:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
An individual who is in the direct employment of one of the NATO Headquarters is entitled to exemption from Income Tax on his emoluments provided they
hold a permanent administrative assignment
are not a member of the locally engaged staff and
are remunerated in accordance with NATO established salary scales.
The exemption applies irrespective of their citizenship.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2024 17:44:59 GMT by Jayesh Ramaiya
You are tax exempt but I also have a query, Are you classed as an ex pat or not an ex pat?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2024 13:11:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
An expat is someone who lives outside their native country, whether for a a few weeks,months and even decadese or or someone who has not decided upon the duration they will live outside their native country.  This may be the result of work, retirement or any other reason.  It is effectively another word for immigrant.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 07:04:05 GMT by David Nelson
Hello, I emigrated to the UK in Dec '23 after retiring from my full time position with NATO. After conducting the SRT and registering with HMRC, I am considered resident for the entire 23/24 tax year. I am clear that UK income tax needs to be paid on the NATO pension I have received since residing in the UK (January - March '24). My question relates to the NATO salary I earned while living in Germany in '23. I understand from previous posts in the thread that my NATO salary in '23 is considered tax free. If this is the case, is it even reported on the Self Assessment? Many thanks for your assistance.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2024 05:48:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi David Nelson,
If you meet the criteria here:
INTM860610 - Forces of other countries stationed in UK: NATO Headquarters employees
Then it is still tax free.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2024 06:43:05 GMT by David Nelson
Hi Your answer is quite different from the answer given to Filbert 79 in this thread 8 months ago. Can you clarify how NATO salary earned at HQ outside of the UK is treated? Thanks DN
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2024 13:26:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

The NATO salary would be tax free .

Thank you .

Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2024 22:12:25 GMT by richardmel1
Hi a slight variation on this question please. I am unclear by what is termed 'not a member of locally engaged staff'. So if a UK national applies for a UK based NATO post does this classify them as locally engaged staff? so in this instance would the UK national (normal resident in the UK) accepting a NATO post receive tax fee salary or would it be taxed?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 12:52:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi richardmel1

Locally engaged staff' would be staff who are not 'civilian staff personnel with a permanent administrative assignment’.  
This may be for example office cleaners, service providers/contactors, building maintenance staff.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.