Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:21:35 GMT by alan23567
A tenancy ends and money is spent on repairs, redecoration and putting back to a clean and tidy pre tenancy condition, after this work is complete a decision is made to sell the property and not start another tenancy. Are these costs relating to this work claimable against income received as part of the ended tenancy within our self assessment?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:21:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

The expenses incurred in following the end of a tenancy are not an allowable deduction as you have ceased to be a landlord for business purposes. Any expenditure must be wholly and exclusively for the business. 

PIM2005 - Deductions: general rules: overview

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:50:43 GMT by alan23567
Thanks, Just so I fully understand, if we rent it out again instead of selling, the costs that I referred to would then be tax duductable as I would contionue to be a landlord? cheers.
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 18:18:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi alan23567,
As long as the property continues as a rental business then expenses would be deductable under Property Income Manual 2005.
As mentioned previously following the end of a tenancy expenses are not an allowable deduction as you have ceased to be a landlord for business purposes.
Any expenditure must be wholly and exclusively for the business.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 11:39:35 GMT by PrivateSmallLandlord
This is a very useful Q&A with alan23567 - thank you both for posting here. One further question or clarification from HMRC, please, about owning two rental properties and deciding to sell one in the same sequence as alan23567 (i.e. deciding to sell after the redecoration work was complete). If the second property remains rented out, are expenses incurred in redecorating the first property prior to its sale tax deductible because the landlord remains in the "rental business" via the second property and hence the overall landlord "trade" has not ceased? Thank you in advance. PrivateSmallLandlord
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 07:14:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi PrivateSmallLandlord,
I confirm that as the rental business is continuing, expenses incurred in redecorating the property which may be sold can be set against the gross profits as a deduction.
Please refer to:
PIM2505 - Beginning and end of a rental business: commencement
PIM2510 - Beginning and end of a rental business: cessation
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.