Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Aug 2024 11:14:07 GMT by bec123 S
I am sole owner of a property with a but to let mortgage. I understand that using a deed of assignment I can assign a % of the rental income to my husband. If we were to split it 90% to my husband and 10% to myself, can I still claim full the 20% tax relief on my sole mortgage interest payments - or am I only able to claim for 10% of those interest payment? I understand that as my husband is not paying any of the mortgage interest he would not be able to claim any of the tax credit/relief himself. Thanks
Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 11:24:06 GMT by bec123 S
Does anyone on the forum maybe know the answer to this as I haven't had a response from HMRC although had answers on posts I submitted after this one.
Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 15:27:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

Thank you for your question. When assigning a certain % of rental income to another party, i.e. 90/10%, we would expect the rental income and expenses to reflect this, as well mortgage interest.
So in this case, as your share stands at 10%, you would only be able to claim 10% of the mortgage payments.

Thanks
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 09:49:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi bec123 S,
Thank you for your question.
When assigning a certain % of rental income to another party, i.e. 90/10%, we would expect the rental income and expenses to reflect this, as well mortgage interest. So in this case, as your share stands at 10%, you would only be able to claim 10% of the mortgage payments.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.