Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:22:20 GMT by njc23
Hi there, Would a letting agent fill this out with me, or is it best I do this. And If am to do this how much time should I give it? Thank you
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:06:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Thank you for your question.  
You will need to complete the NRL1 yourself either online or via post.  
Please refer to :Non-resident landlord: application to have UK rental income without deduction of UK tax - individuals (NRL1) for how to do this.
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 20:36:04 GMT by njc23
well if I need to fill the NR1 Form myself how in advance do i do it before i rent my house out?
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 09:01:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

As under the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme, there is a requirement to disclose all rental income you received in the quarter (i.e. April to June)
I would advise that if you are due to leave the UK, then this needs to be completed within three months of the rental income starting and leaving the UK.

If you are already outside of the UK, then as soon as the rental business commences would be recommended.

I would also highlight that this forum is only for income from property queries, so for any more in-depth information on the NRL scheme to contact the NRL department directly on 0300 322 9433, or outside of the UK, +44 300 322 9433 as they would be able to answer all of your queries separate from income from property.

Thank  you.  
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 10:26:13 GMT by njc23
Thank you for your message, I will apply for my NRL1 form a month prior to renting. I assume as soon as I have heard back from HMRC concerning my NRL1 eligibility then I pass this on to the letting agent who will then be in position to pass on the rent without any tax deductions. How long does it take for the NRL1 form to be approved ? Also on the NRL1 form asks when will you leave the UK, can this be estimated if you are doing as this is months in advance. I also presume my wife will also have to fill out the same form. Lastly, will there be a problem that my planned move abroad is delayed or the letting of the property i delayed ? Thank you for clearing this up for me
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 12:06:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi njc23,
Thank you for your further question.
We would advise you that you can only complete an NRL1 registration form up to 3 months before you plan to leave the UK.
We would suggest that you contact our Non Resident  Landlord (NRL) scheme helpline for more information in repect of your question regarding the timescale for an application and the length of time your application will take to deal with.
Please see their contact details in the following link :
Non-UK resident landlords
We would also advise you that in respect of a jointly owned property with your wife you would both need to complete an individual NRL1.
Thank you.  
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 12:29:47 GMT by njc23
Thank you, HMRC for your help on this, I presume I can apply in advance, even if I decide to rent at a later date ?
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 18:10:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi njc23,
Information on the NRL scheme can be found here under the section “When an application can be made”:
What the Non-resident Landlords Scheme is
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:25:59 GMT by
I’ve tried to locate the NRL1 Form from the Gov website and it direct me to the form searching page but there are no such form, so what should I do? BTW, it that a person have never lived in UK can’t apply the NRL1i form online?
Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 09:48:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

Here is then link from our web site to the form NRL1.

You will note that there is a link to the online form and the postal form .

Thank you .
Posted Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:39:42 GMT by Andreea Suciu
Interested in this thread as well. What if you have already left the Uk, but didn't submit a NRL1 form and will start renting out a Uk property after a longer time than those 3 months. (when you left the Uk you didn't know you will rent out your property) Can you still submit the NRL1 form? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:27:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

Yes, you can still make an application.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.