Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:55:33 GMT by mkcchan
Hello, There is mortgage interest in my letting residential property. Due to the rental income in the tax year is just £1,000(net), may I choose NOT to claim the property finance cost and carry forward full amount to next year? For example: Finance cost = £3,000 Enter "0" in Residential Property Finance Costs Enter "3,000" in Unused Residential Property Finance Costs brought forward Pls comment. Thanks.
Posted Sat, 20 Jan 2024 13:31:40 GMT by mkcchan
Hello, I think I did not provide complete information in my previous post. Here is the full picture: Rental income = £1,000 Finance cost = £3,000 Total taxable income = £1,000 Total taxable income deducting personal allowance = £0 Should I : Enter "0" in Residential Property Finance Costs Enter "3,000" in Unused Residential Property Finance Costs Brought Forward Pls comment. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 13:24:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
You are correct, you may choose not to claim property finance costs and carry such amount forward to a future year where it would be more beneficial to yourself.
Thankyou.
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:29:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Please refer to the UK property notes:
Self Assessment: UK property (SA105) which advises to use box 45 to include unused residential property finance costs from the property from an earlier year.
Any balance of residential finance costs which are still unrelieved may be carried forward to future years of the same property business.
More information can be found at:
Tax relief for residential landlords: how it's worked out
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.